Pharm Tech State License vs National Certification

by Richard

Once you've passed the PTCB and become a certified pharmacy tech, do you have to maintain both state and national licenses and pay the renewal fee upon expiration date (for both)? Or, do you just have to keep up and maintain the PTCB certified pharmacy tech license only?
Thank you.

Comments for Pharm Tech State License vs National Certification

Click here to add your comments

PTCB Certification and State License
by: Jerry

Firstly, you must maintain state licensing no matter what. Period. Each state is different in how they do that.

So then,

- If neither your state or employer requires national certification, you don't need to take the PTCB, or ExCPT.

- If your state (or employer) requires you to take the National exam (i.e - PTCB) to obtain state licensing (or employment), you'll have to pass and perpetually maintain that. Which means continuing education and renewal fees due every 2 years.

I've heard that most employers are requiring PTCB national certification, even in states that don't require it.

Some employers, like Walgreens, are even implementing programs where you have a few months to obtain it.

Click here to add your comments

Join in and ASK your Questions! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Pharmacy Tech Questions.